Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ava's First Day 4K

Ava jumped right back to where she left off in May... new class of course, but she was ready to go back.  She was especially excited that Bryce was going to be at her school two days a week.  On Wednesday, she went into a detailed explanation with him that he wasn't going with her that day, but tomorrow she would walk him to his classroom.  He said ok and we were off to play with Claire and Ms. Amy.
Before:
After:


So the before and after look the same, but there is a funny story about the shirt.  Tuesday after Meet the Teacher, I ran by the kids' favorite store (ok, maybe it's my favorite) Joann's Fabrics to pick up one thing.  I happened to spot yellow fabric with bumble bees and apples.  Could it be more perfect for Ava's first day in her bumble bee class?  So I grabbed that too and we were on our way.  I knew there was a reason I had yet to make her something to wear for her first day (even though I had been thinking about it for weeks).  

Fast forward to after school, what's the first thing Ava is so excited to tell me?  Mom, they loved my shirt it matched the curtain on the computer desk in my classroom.  I about died!  Like I said perfect fabric for her class.... anyway, I was just thrilled that although my baby was getting so big she wasn't old enough to be embarrassed by this.  She loved it.  Me, I don't know why, but I was a little embarrassed.

This was her other conversation from her first day... 
Ava:  Mom, I ate all my turkey sandwich, but I was a little full so I saved a few grapes.  

Me:  That's great Ava.  Since Ava's been going to preschool at least one morning a week since about 18 months, I have almost religiously sent her with the same lunch... some kind of sandwich and some kind of fruit.  Doesn't seem like much but she is the slowest eater (think Aunt LaLa - jk) and the teachers always said she was the last to finish that I need not send more.  

Ava:  Yeah mom, it was good.  But... but... but... what about when I finish my sandwich and fruit.

Me:  What about it?

Ava:  Well...

Me:  Yes, Ava

Ava:  Well... Well you see Mom, some kids in my school bring a cookie or some kind of treat. 

Me:  Oh I see.  We'll think about that, but I thought you were too full to finish what you brought.  

Ava:  I would have eaten a cookie!

This last line is my point exactly.  I never sent dessert, not that they don't eat plenty of sweets, but at school, I figured they would only eat the dessert and never anything else.  We'll see how this one plays out.  I know they have a birthday or holiday almost every week where they are already eating cupcakes and other sweets BEFORE lunch!